Monday, May 16, 2011

Is Blogging Wu Liao?

Coco : Come play with me, don't play with the computer!!!!!
Wawa : Don't disturb Mommy! She's blogging about us!

Today is Vesak Day, a buddhist holiday. For Malaysia, it is a public holiday. We are extemely happy when there's a holiday, regardless of what it's for. I can get up a little later, take my time cleaning up, blog in between etc etc. I was just thinking about why people blog. This morning I thought it such a wu liao act. Wu liao is what people say to those who do unproductive and meaningless things. Like planking for instance. Or body piercing or messing up public walls with graffiti. People I know have more or less implied that me having pets is wu liao. They will usually say "you mao kao choh" or are-you-nuts when I don't want to travel with them or when I want to stay home intead of join them for a meal. A colleague of mine recently commented - "I just don't understand why you want to have all these animals in your house! If you're lonely, just watch tv! I hate animals, I hated it when my mother had dogs!". This is Malaysia and it's common for people to talk like that. It's ok, she was just feeling for me. But she will never know the joy of having pets. It's a kind of daily joy that you can give up a lot of things for, including an 8 day trip somewhere. After 8 days you come home and slowly the euphoria dies down and then you want to blow another few thousand dollars for another 8 day trip. The more you travel, the less you like your own home/town/country. Some people get a high by bragging about their travels and I know of one person who cannot wait to call as soon as he comes home and not only does he tell you where he has been, he also wants you to know where he's going next (very unfortunately, his next is Sabah) and "you-mao-kao-choh why you never travel like I do!". He bores me to tears and I dread getting his calls. Many times I just don't answer them! Then he'll go -- "Whatlah you! Why you never anwer the phone! Call you so many times, aiyo!". Ah yes, is blogging wu liao? I guess most times it is but I think it's a good way to remember my pets when they're gone (if I don't go first). Photography is my fun hobby but when I started having dogs, I don't have time to go out and take photos anymore so I just take pictures of the dogs. Blogging is a good way to show people my photos and share some of my thoughts. Perhaps it will be an encouragement to others because some of the blogs I follow encourage me. They are positive and amusing and I get to know how other people and their animal companions live. I commented to a friend that I really like so-and-so because she knows how to make her life interesting. And my friend immediately responded "So do you!". I was surprised but very, very pleased. She really made my day. I think blogging helps you to make your own life interesting. You have to, otherwise no one will read your blog! Perhaps blogging is not so wu liao after all..........

2 comments:

Rubie and Poots (her Mum) said...

Tooki, I love hearing your thoughts.....I can so relate to you!! It's funny - everyday when I smile at something Rubie does, or the way she looks, or the way she is sitting looking at me....I am amazed at how much she have brought into my life and how she has enriched it. My husband loves dogs but did not want one.....and I eventually won. Now he looks at Rubie with nothing but love - even when she is less than "good". Secretly I think he is delighted that she is with us. Like you - I have said no to invitations purely because I preferred to stay at home with Rubie rather than go elsewhere! Soon husband and I are going to a country Bed and Breakfast - chosen purely because it will cater for Rubie and she will have a really good time. It's an experiment to see how it goes. No doubt she will blog about it. xx Rubie's mum.

Tooki said...

The lengths we go through for our dogs! Glad you understand, very few of my friends do. Can't wait to hear about your B&B trip!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...